Information on Spiritual Direction Certificate
Spiritual Direction Certificate
The Spiritual Direction Certificate (SDC) Program is designed to provide the knowledge, skills, and supervision for future spiritual directors. The Program seeks to respond to the ongoing need for the followers of Jesus Christ to assist one another on their path of becoming every day, more faithful disciples of the Lord.
The SDC program is made up of six online classes which include two four-day onsite residences, and practicum. The online classes are offered three times a year, in eight-week segments. The pillars of the program include: integration of theological and human sciences as they relate to spiritual development; learning the art and skills of human interactions; and the fruitful experience of supervision.
SDC 100: Ongoing Conversion, Deepening Discipleship, and the Foundations of Spiritual Direction
SDC 200: Human Development for Spiritual Direction
SDC 300: Relating Skills for Spiritual Direction (with Residency in week 7)
SDC 400: Discernment and Spiritual Growth: Theory and Practice
SDC 500: Advanced Spiritual Direction Skills and Practicum: Putting Out into the Deep (with Residency in week 2)
SDC 600: Advanced Prayer and Situations
- Experience a strong professional spiritual director identity with the foundational knowledge and skills of the ministry.
- Demonstrate profound self-awareness, including one’s own internal movements and patterns of reacting to others and to circumstances.
- Demonstrate adequate knowledge of human nature, including the findings of the human and behavioral sciences regarding attachment styles, personality differences, developmental stages, psychological obstacles to flourishing, and of the spiritual life and workings of supernatural grace in the human person.
- Exhibit a pastoral approach to encouraging gradual moral and spiritual development, respecting both the truths of the moral and spiritual life and the unique dignity and goodness of each person.
Applicants must provide the following for admission to the certificate in spiritual direction program:
- Completed application form submitted online and payment of application fee.
- Letter from one’s own spiritual director, using form provided.
- Two recommendations using the form provided by the program: one from the applicant’s pastor or minister, and one from a person who has known the applicant for at least 3 of the last 5 years.
After the review of these requirements, the admissions committee will contact the applicant to schedule a video-conference interview. Interviews generally take place during the term prior to the course start.
Requirements for Completion
- Successful completion of the six courses and residencies with a course grade average of no less than 3.0 while in the program.
- Successful completion of practicum (60 hours of supervised practicum over a minimum of 6 months)
- Spiritual exercises of at least three full days in duration, or the equivalent subject to review and approval by the program director, before the completion of the third course.
Ready to take the next step?
Schedule a call with an Admissions Advisor or apply today!